Cyclone Center Talk

Hello, Cyclone Center!

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello, Cyclone Center Zooites! It looks like this board is a little quiet these days, but hopefully that’ll pick up when we debut the new CC site. In any case, I wanted to stop by and introduce myself!

My name is Darren--DZM here on Talk--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on a few projects, first and foremost an overhaul of the Talk system. In particular, I’m interested in working to build a unified Zooniverse Talk within which individual project forums are nested.

I don’t have any sort of science or climatology background, but I’m hoping to learn from everyone here! I’ll be around these boards as often as possible, looking for any other ways in which I can help out, so I’m always interested in hearing from you--questions, concerns, ideas, anything.

In particular, if you have any additional ideas for how Talk can be improved, I'd love to know!

See you all around!

DZM

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

If anyone would like to know a bit more about me and my role, there's a new Zooniverse blog post up from Chris Lintott introducing me.

Feel free to check it out, and I'm happy to answer any additional questions that you might have! 😃

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Hi DZM.

You're right. Did you hear the pin I dropped here in Norway? :-s

Good luck in your new position.

Really looking forwards to seeing the new version of the pages.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey, we've already got some fresh discussion here with the new site! This motor's running again! 😃

Posted

• Irukandji37 by Irukandji37

Hi, first timer here. I have gone through the tutorial a couple times and would like to point out some mistakes and confusing points I found within it so that others are less likely to become frustrated.

1. It seems that there is a different storm pictured than intended or that the colors were misnamed. It says, "We can see that the beige, orange, red, yellow, and light blue bands are all continuous. The cyan band is broken, so let's choose the light blue as the coldest continuous band," but the light blue doesn't complete a circle and the cyan is solid.
    2. "Remember: Colder color include warmer colors." Typo, and I couldn't make sense of that until I read the guide underneath.
    3. Referring to both the temperature and cloud formation as bands threw me off at first.
    4. The guide should have its own step in the tutorial, as I missed it at first and I needed it to understand what the tutorial was describing.
    5. I don't see any of the "?" buttons which it directed me to for extra help.

I hope this is useful!

Posted

Thanks lrukandji37, I'll pass on to the science team.

Posted

• clm422 by clm422

Sitting in Jacksonville Beach Florida USA I used Cyclone Center to help interpret the weather forecasters and images associated with Hermine (AKA Her Mean to some nearer the storm's landfall). Thanks, it was useful to me to have a more educated eye.

Posted

• new2weather by new2weather

Hello,
    My name is Kraig Morris. I am in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania (USA). I am new to all this. I don't know if I am doing this right I try to identify by the shape of the storm and I don't honestly understand much about the different colors, temperatures, things like that. Can anyone help me understand the basics of cyclones. I don't have any background in this just doing for fun and may be I can help. Thank You.
    Kraig Morris

Posted

Hi Kraig,

Sorry for the delayed response.

you shall certainly help.

In terms of your questions you had - the blues and whites are cold (tall) clouds and the oranges and reds warm (low) clouds. A combination of cloud temperature and cloud structural organization is used to estimate the strength by our volunteers.

I'll try to check in next couple of days if you have further Qs

Posted