Cyclone Center Talk

Impact of NOAA cuts on Cyclone Center

• wavewavewave by wavewavewave

Recently, the new presidential administration in the US has proposed high-profile 17% cuts to the NOAA (the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). The NOAA is one of the organisations partnering in Cyclone Center.

I don't want discuss whether this move is right or wrong here, what I would like to know about is the impact this will have on Cyclone Center. Might this cause the project to run out of data because of less capability on the NOAA end? Might we end up with lower-resolution images? Might the NOAA actually rely on us more because they can't afford to categorise the hurricanes themselves?

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Hi wavewavewave,

its probably a little early to be sure what the budgetary situation for NOAA shall be in reality. Many steps before the budget is finished and you have to hope that reality that these satellite observations are key to forecasting weather and keeping society safe will kick in at some juncture.

Cyclonecenter has about 4 times as many images left to go as are already completed so there is little short-term risk of our running out of images to classify.

Thankfully I don't believe that the National Hurricane Center function is in question. I would hope to goodness that continues unimpeded.

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

There will always be imagery for Cyclone Center volunteers to classify. And like Peter noted, the proposed budget will not look anything like what will come out the other side.

Posted