Cyclone Center Talk

can't get the cyclone center to work

• Veegee by Veegee

I get a map, I get a box to the right, I get an apparent place where a photo should be but there is
    just a blank box with a symbol in the upper left corner and despite refreshing it a dozen times, nothing
    seems to work. I had the same problem with the seafloor study. I can get into the other places, ie
    galaxies, bubbles etc, but not these two latest, so what gives???

Posted

• zoombob by zoombob

I'm no expert but, looking at the page source it appears that IE version prior to IE9 activates some javascript code.
    If using Internet Explorer versions 6, 7 or 8 and you have Javascript enabled, then it may be a bug in the linked Javascript code.

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

There are known issues (this is third hand info) with several versions of IE. The newest version should work. If you are using an older version something should have popped up. If you have another browser have you tried that?

Posted

• sestevens by sestevens scientist

There has been at least one instance of someone running IE9 on Windows 7 that still wouldn't work, but so far that has been isolated, and most people have had no problem. There are known problems with IE8, and the recommended solution so far (this is from the development team) is simply to use Firefox or Chrome. Keep us updated in this thread, and we'll pass along whatever we can to the development team.

Posted

Just posted on another thread related to issues with the interface:

Hi there, it seems like we have a general issue with IE9 currently. We're working hard on a fix but in the interim please try using Google Chrome or Firefox.

Cheers

Arfon

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

OK, I downloaded Chrome and it seems to work, must be an IE problem--I have IE 8. Now I just have to
    come to grips that I am rather sucky at this lol, maybe back to classifying galaxies...thanks all

Posted

This can be admittedly tougher than the galaxies, since a lot of storms are not so pretty, but that's just motivation to keep going til you get a gorgeous eye storm! 😃

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

I figured out how to get IE 9 to work, but it's only a workaround and it has to be redone every time you close your browser. You have to activate the F12 Developer Tools box in the Tools menu in IE 9 and when that box comes up change the browser mode to IE 9 Compatability View. I had to do this with a project called "Old Weather" which catalogues weather information from old paper ship log books as well.

Posted

• brian-c by brian-c admin

I haven't been able to reproduce the issues people've been having with IE9 very consistently, but I just added something that I think will take care of it. If you've been having trouble, can you try again and report back?

Thanks guys!

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

Whatever you did took the need away of having to use the F12 Developer Tools and put it into IE 9 Compatability Mode as far as I can tell right now.

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put this problem, but I can't get the first step of the detailed classifications to work. Maybe I am not doing it correctly. The one I'm trying to do has to be an "Eye" type, but the eye is so small as to be almost not there, if it really is an eye, because it's not a typical obvious "white" space, but it's nearly perfectly round as a whole as storms go. Anyway, when I click on the center of the storm and then try to choose the size of the circle of the eye, nothing happens when I click on the buttons. I have to click on the exact ring of the circle for it to click in the first place and the continue button doesn't activate when I have done that. I just reread the instructions and it says you should drag to the screen to mark where the eye is and it won't do that either.

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

When I try to answer "Which colors wrap most of the way around the band?", I click on the colors and nothing happens. They don't appear to be selectable.

Posted