Cyclone Center Talk

Storms and storm-formations: What fascinates you about storms?

• Struck by Struck moderator, translator

In this topic we can discuss and collect features by storms, which features and elements (intensity, form ...) about different storms fascinate you, and which storm-type ( #eye-storm, #curved-band-storm.... ) do you prefer.
    I look forward to your answers.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Struck I do not want to upset the system . Can I tell you people about new forming storms (real time ) Two at present .

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi Struck , I like the way ,alot of the time , embeded storms can be explained as curved band storms and conversely embeded storms often lead to eye storms fasinated 😃

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Shocko61,

the chat facility really is a community resource. We'll moderate for profanities and seriously off-topic discussions but anything tropical cyclone related is more than welcome to be discussed. Indeed, a good barometer is what is on the blog. If you look at posts around the time that Sandy was churning up the Eastern sea board of the US you'll see the science team made a number of interesting posts. So, I think its safe to say if the science team can discuss real-time storms you are also welcome to. Please do post anything of interest. It will be good to see more detailed discussions amongst our growing user community on these discussion boards.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Thank you peterthorne , there are two cyclones current , near australia . OneTC "Mitchell" is in the Indian Ocean moving S S W at ten knots, 995HPa and is catagory 1 approximately 600 Klms from the N W coast of Western Australia .
    The other one is TC "Freda" in the Coral Sea. TC "Freda" 995HPa moving S W at 7Knots towards the Queensland coast but is not in the forcast area for Australia . I am not sure but I think that "Freda" is in Fiji's area . Anyone that wants to follow these cyclones can find information on the internet at : http://www.bom.gov.au/ the web site for Australian weather bureau of meteorology . You will need to follow the links on that site . Have fun , as I do , very interesting . Ian shocko61

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Freda currently looks like a very strong #embedded-centre - may have an eye but hard to tell. Fortunately looks like its going to stay out over the wet stuff. Given that I'm travelling through Sydney in ten days I have my fingers crossed that'll be the case anyhow.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

I hope for your sake you are right peterthorne . fortunately since yesterday Freda has turned south again . the very best of luck

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE , IAN

Posted

• Casna51 by Casna51

I was never interested in following current tropical storms before, but I've begun viewing even the small storms on satellite. Watching the animations helps to see where the storm centers are by their rotations and I'm applying this to the stills in Cyclone Center. It's also fun to watch the anti cyclonic rotations in the southern latitudes.
    Also there's some neat similarities between storms and galaxies: spiral bands, colliding galaxies and large storms rotating closely together around the center, etc.

Posted