Cyclone Center Talk

Real life experience

• fezzik by fezzik

Has anyone classifying been in a hurricane?

Posted

• carl_schreck by carl_schreck scientist

I'm originally from Raleigh, NC, so I remember Hurricanes Fran (1996), Dennis (1999), and Floyd (1999). Plus a few other tropical storms. Seeing the power of those storms is part of why I study them now!

Posted

• sestevens by sestevens scientist

I grew up in Oklahoma, so hurricanes were non-existent. My only experience with one was intentional. A couple of friends and I stupidly drove to the Louisiana coast in 2002 to experience Hurricane Lili first-hand. It was something else, and I'm fairly certain I don't want to do it again.

Posted

• fezzik by fezzik

Funny how the sunny days we forget, but the storms and 'canes are implanted in our memories. Any input from others?

Posted

• jjrennie by jjrennie moderator

Being from New England, we saw a lot more winter storms than hurricanes. I do remember Hurricane Bob back in 1991. A lot of rain, and a lot of wide spread power outages!

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Being from England (originally) we mainly got drizzle. I do remember the non-hurricane of October 1987 though that was called a hurricane thanks to Michael Fish (for the non-Brits google some combination of that in another tab but be sure to come back here after!)

Posted

• NearlyNeville by NearlyNeville

I remember, in Boston, late '50s/ early '60s, flying up the street in one - literally, until I grabbed a lamppost.
    But winter storms, yes. And the Atlantic side of the Cape was always changed each spring from them...

Posted

• zychka by zychka

I am in London and I remember what peterthorne calls the non-hrricane of 1987.I think the the isobars then were more linear than circular.My house was shaking in the wind. I am glad we do'nt have hurricanes here!Zychka

Posted

• Jeshyr by Jeshyr

I'm in Melbourne, Australia, where there aren't any really huge storms generally, but some relatives of mine lost everything in Cyclone Tracy in Darwin at Christmas 1974 .... it was a few months before I was born but it's family legend now. The roof blew off their apartment, the whole nine yards.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

I was with in 1 mile of a small tornado and saw insulation bats (fibre glass ) that were 3 feet by 2feet 6 inches in the sky so high they looked 4 inches long . And a cyclone 12 miles away and Ex-cyclone Oswald is now dumping rain on us and will for the next 2 days. Ian shocko61

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Be careful through those downpours. I've seen some news stories about truly epic rainfall from Oswald. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the rains and floods / landslips are by far the biggest killers from tropical systems globally. What a land of extremes this year already Australia is turning out to be. Beautiful country but the climate is something to behold. Lets hope everybody stays safe.

Posted