Cyclone Center Talk

[Suggestion] Global/public storm collections

• Struck by Struck moderator, translator

I wish you a great monday,

yesterday I had a suggestion for the 'CycloneCenter Talkboard',which could support our community work and actions in this project.

I am not sure, if CycloneCenter supports my suggestion, but it belongs to the storm picture collections, which we can find here.

So my suggestion would be the implementation of 'Global collections' on the Talkboard here.

A member/user of CycloneCenter can switch with this function his private collection, for example 'Eye-Storms', to a global or public collection, where all members of the CycloneCenter community can participate in this collection and can add their own storm pictures.

Also with this function in the future, we can create special community events, for example 'Find and collect the most gigantic eye-storms' etc..

At last the public/global collections could be a very helpfull tool to get some example storm pictures of every classification-category, like 'shear', 'embedded-centers' and so on.

I am looking forward to your answers. = )

Posted

• bretarn by bretarn translator

I do agree with Struck proposal, could be helpful for new users of Cyclone center;but I'm afraid it's gonna create some more work to the science tem since collections will need some approval before publishing

Posted

Following my comment with AC00022uu, to get an access to the storm page while classifying could be an good way to understand some tricky images since images to classifyed are not true sequences

Posted

Thank you very much 'bretarn' for your comment about this suggestion. ; - )

Maybe you are right with the argument, the implementation of this suggestion will be create more work to the science team, but personally I think, it would be very minimal.

To solve the problem, maybe the creator of a global collection, like my introduction in my first post to the suggestion, could get administration rights for his own global/public collection to check images for himself.

Posted

your suggestion gives a neat solution!

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

I agree with Struck's proposal ,when I was starting out with storms there were times when a bit more information would have helped a lot also I am in Australia and work times are opposite IE night and day for America and Europe so people here had to wait for a reply to questions . When , if I had a lot of images that I could go to for information it would have been better from my point of view . Sort of like a data base . Ian

Posted

Hi Ian,I think too, getting a bit more information would help to classify storms. It's a nice thought to meet people from all around the world trying to help scientific team with this storm calssification.
    Hello from France
    Jean-Maurice
    😃

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hello from Australia , bretarn , yes there should be more of it and the world would be a better place . 😃

Posted

You are right bretarn and shocko61. 😃 Thank you very much for your comments here. I hope, this suggestion could be realized to create more public events to special storm types and to have a great tool, that includes many examples from many civil scientiest for every classification-category of CycloneCenter.

By the way: Special greetings from Germany, too. ; - )

Posted