Cyclone Center Talk

curved band?

• David_Steidl by David_Steidl

How do you distinguish this from embedded center assuming large dark blue area is the center?

Posted

• HurricaneGeorgia by HurricaneGeorgia

what do you mean?

Posted

• HurricaneTracker by HurricaneTracker moderator

Interesting image. To me this looks like either a "shear pattern" or an "embedded center." I think you can argue the center might be exposed (just east of the darkest blue), representing a sheared storm, or it could be in the dark blue, making it an embedded center. Distinguishing between images can be difficult, but just use your best judgement against the options that are presented and choose one that you think looks most similar.

Posted

• sestevens by sestevens scientist

David, that's the beauty of this project (and the Dvorak method)! Even two experts could likely look at this image and come to different conclusions. The nice aspect of the technique is that in the end, it could probably be analyzed either way and end up with a similar conclusion. Part of what we can't wait to see is the distribution of answers that everyone comes up with.

Personally, if I were analyzing this one, my gut would say #curved-band, just because the band is SO thick. An #embedded-center is typically more of a big target with thinner bands.

As you're seeing first-hand, there is usually no obvious answer. 😃

Posted

• carl_schreck by carl_schreck scientist

Like sestevens said, this could be either one, and usually the strength will work out to be about the same either way.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. To me, an #embedded-center has a nice roundish area in the center. This storm looks like it's on its way there, but that center area still has a distinct curve to it. And that curve continues all the way around the storm. But you see here, we have three experts here with different opinions, so that's why we need You!

Posted

• David_Steidl by David_Steidl

Thanks, this is helpful. I've never done this before (analyzing weather or participating in a forum)

Posted

• sestevens by sestevens scientist

Well, welcome, and thank you for participating!

Posted