Cyclone Center Talk

Overland Classifications?

• vuchaser by vuchaser

This was an interesting storm to classify as I had one image overwater before making landfall in India (5 post-overland images). Though I guess we are obtaining the instantaneous DT (Data-T) for any given storm... shouldn't there be an option for overland classifications, as we do not have any idea what the land interaction is aiding or detracting from the sfc wind speeds/intensity.

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

Thanks for the post. Almost all classifications done by forecasters are for over water cases. Presumably we have a pretty good idea about overland intensity from surface station measurements, although I can see cases of remote landfalls where that would not be the case. For this project we will be able to determine when a storm is over land, so an option for you to check isn't necessary. As to how the overland cases may differ in the DT numbers I cannot say. That will be something we'll have to investigate.

Posted

• vuchaser by vuchaser in response to cch001's comment.

cch001
    Thanks for the post. Almost all classifications done by forecasters are for over water cases. Presumably we have a pretty good idea about overland intensity from surface station measurements, although I can see cases of remote landfalls where that would not be the case. For this project we will be able to determine when a storm is over land, so an option for you to check isn't necessary. As to how the overland cases may differ in the DT numbers I cannot say. That will be something we'll have to investigate.

I know... I am one of those "forecasters", I think this project is a heck of a lot more difficult given lack of animation, no vis or swir. Still quite interesting...and look forward to all the results.

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

Agreed. Perhaps in "version 2" we can get some vis, microwave, and maybe some animation in here. BTW, where are you a forecaster?

Posted