Cyclone Center Talk

Can't tell if eye or two bands smashed together.

• TheNerd by TheNerd

The part that appears eye-like is the small red ring in the middle.

Posted

• Struck by Struck moderator, translator

Hmm. In my opinion, the picture shows two main storms, which are growing or arising.
    On the other hand a red circle features an #eye-storm, so you could be right.
    Unusual, I think, is the width of the red circle, because i often see #eye-storms with a smaller width than this picture.

By characterizing the storm collection "Oscar (1983-10-22)" I found this picture:

ACC0000kca

This picture has four small red circles, but I don't know, if we can select '#eye-storm' to 'ACC0000kca'.

This picture of this topic is a little bit distorted, too, so the classification will be difficult.
    For the moment I would tend to two #curved-band-storms, which are growing up.

Posted

• daneel_olivaw by daneel_olivaw

En every #eye-storm provided as examples the eye is very circular and defined. I agree that this one seems more like two different structures than one distorted eye storm.

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

Interesting case. I don't think this would be characterized as an #eye-storm - it is a really unusual shape, almost like two separate systems like Struck mentioned. I would probably classify this as an #embedded-center, with the center under the orange or yellow colors in the top half of the storm (where the bands are better defined). But I could be wrong!

Posted

• TheNerd by TheNerd

I think what threw me was the previous image actually did have an eye, and I couldn't tell if I was just eye-happy or if it somehow still "counts" even after the party was over.

Posted