Cyclone Center Talk

not so easy

• bretarn by bretarn translator

found this one pretty difficult to classify, any help from science team?

Posted

• fezzik by fezzik

Looks like a curved band. Looks like a C with the center near the bottom part of the C.

Posted

• Struck by Struck moderator, translator

I would classify this storm like a #curved-band. No cold-coloured area has a specific feature like a pronounced circle which stands for an #embedded-center for example.

I am not sure, if the edge of the big 'storm-area' in the center of the image could be classified like a #shear-storm, because of the small temperature areas and the one-sided expansion from the East to the West of the blue storm center, but at the moment I would tend to #curved-band.

Posted

Thanks, anyway, few peoples seems to classify these storms, or is it just a start?

Posted

Being French, living near Montpellier, south west France, could be a timing issue to be same time connected with other users?

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

bretarn, thanks for asking and welcome to Cyclone Center. I think both Fezzik and Struck are correct, this is probably a #curved-band storm. Sometimes a storm will have a blend of features and it is difficult to choose one. In these cases I try to go with the most prominent feature. With this image you can see some curvature in the main cloud feature.

We will continue to monitor this site so continue to submit your questions.

Posted