Cyclone Center Talk

Closest matching storm

• sammyd25 by sammyd25

I did not think there was a clear choice for the closest matching storm. The second cell or band of heavy weather confused me.

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Quite often there isn't a clear choice or a right answer. What is important is that your clicks can help us to identify such cases and resolve the uncertainty that results. Don't be afraid to give your best guess. We often do ... 😃

On the specifics ... my non-expert analysis. Without being able to see the wider field of view of what is to the South it is hard to know whether the feature in the SE quadrant is part of the storm in question or linked to some other feature. Its quite clear from the image itself that there is quite a lot of #shear roughly N to S over the storm, and that the high clouds are displaced South of the low center (although likely obscuring it). So, I would probably go for #shear or #embedded-center with the low level circulation being somewhere toward the northern edge of the main body of convection in this case. But I, also, may well be wrong.

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Quite often there isn't a clear choice or a right answer. What is important is that your clicks can help us to identify such cases and resolve the uncertainty that results. Don't be afraid to give your best guess. We often do ... 😃

On the specifics ... my non-expert analysis. Without being able to see the wider field of view of what is to the South it is hard to know whether the feature in the SE quadrant is part of the storm in question or linked to some other feature. Its quite clear from the image itself that there is quite a lot of #shear roughly N to S over the storm, and that the high clouds are displaced South of the low center (although likely obscuring it). So, I would probably go for #shear or #embedded-center with the low level circulation being somewhere toward the northern edge of the main body of convection in this case. But I, also, may well be wrong.

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

Sammy, I would focus on the circular blob and call it #embedded-center. If the curved cells connect to the blob (not here), then you can identify a banding feature. In this case, though, I would probably just go with a weak embedded center classification. As Peter said, a lot of these cases are not clear cut but all we ask is for your best opinion. Thanks for contributing to the project. -Chris

Posted

• Struck by Struck moderator, translator

Hi sammyd25, thank you for your question and welcome to Cyclone-Center. = )
    For your question, I would like to follow the answer of peterthorne and cch001, too.

My argumentation point is the 'focusing point': Which features and elements could be seen and found very clearly.
    Under the center in the image, the round yellow coloured formation of a first storm can be located here.
    The circular yellow colour could stand for an element of an #embedded-center.

In the SE of the image, we found a second storm formation, which is difficult to analyse, because his whole length can not be displayed.
    By analysing the second page of 'Viewing storm page' of this storm, this second part of the developing storm in SE are not linked with the center-storm-formation.

By viewing the animation of the storm, we can see the rotation and the wind routes.
    In this image and at this moment I think, perhaps we have two wind directions, coming from North and South and develop to a circular wind rotation (#eye-storm).

Wind routes

I am not sure, if my picture about the wind routes are correct here, but it could shows us a feature of a #shear-storm, which is not very pronounced.

So at this point, I think I would like to tend to an #embedded-center storm.

Posted