Cyclone Center Talk

storm type help for beginner

• CoolleenFab by CoolleenFab

So is this a curved storm or a weak embedded storm? And if curved how would you describe the banding? Also is the centre just the centre of the dark blue mass area even though it isn't very tight and round?

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Hi CoolleenFab,

This could be either embedded or curved band. I would probably lean toward embedded. The centre is as you say somewhere in the dark blue. There is just the tiniest hint in the small yellow blob right in the middle that an eye may be about to pop out. The break in the tail NW of centre leads to ambiguity in how to describe main banding feature. Given overall presentation I would say its the longest banding (full wrap around) but with some reservations.

My personal classification choices would be embedded third out of the 5 analog choices and with the longest banding choice. But the beauty of cyclonecenter is that we get many personal estimates that enable us to do cool science.

Posted

• CoolleenFab by CoolleenFab

Thanks so much!

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

To me this one seems a bit stronger - probably embedded center. You can even say there is a significant banding feature (the long spiral arm with a "gap" of warm clouds between it and the main circular feature), which suggests stronger winds. This might even be a hurricane at this time.

Posted