Cyclone Center Talk

4 featured storms

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi all , with the featured storms on the home page I go through the chosen storm about twice or three times and run out of images , and only change the classified percentage by 10 or 20 % . I used to do quite a few hours until there was only a few percent left . Is there a reason that I am not aware of for the few minutes it takes ? I know that if I want to I can do a random storm , but that seems to cut down on the amount of featured storms that gets finished . I am under the impression that the featured storms were what you want finished first . sorry if this seems picky , I am just wondering if you are aware of this. Cheers Ian

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Ian, each image needs to be classified by ten unique users to be retired so you can classify all images and the storm will be 10% done. The use of multiple classifiers for each image tells us something about how uncertain the classification is and therefore our uncertainty in the storm's evolution. There are plenty of random storms also as you say. We should be swapping the storms out soon(ish). Random storms at the moment are only the 2005 unclassified so hitting random storms will still help us nudge the 2005 campaign counter to completion. If you get through all 2005 imagery I believe that you will then be given other storms. Plenty still to do 😃

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi peterthorne , that all makes sense of what looked from the outside to be creeping in on it's self . Thank you ,cheers

Posted