Cyclone Center Talk

Out of work?

• bretarn by bretarn translator

With about 19598 images classidfied from beginning with thi fbulous project; it seems there is no more datas to be cecked for me. Let me know if Im wrong and keep on with the feedback you alreaduy post. Its an strong incentive wit your project. Some friendly thoughts from France.

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Bretarn,

to my knowledge there are over 200,000 images so I'm guessing that they need to upload some new images. I will ask someone on the CSA team.

Posted

Folks are checking this now. Will advise of any answer that may be forthcoming if they do not reply directly. There are certainly more images to be done.

Posted

Happy to know that, but situatin is still a stalemate: this stubborn machine won't let me go further! By the way, could you please give me some books reference so I could improve my oo light knowledge about storm; the only ting <i've read is a special edition of "Scientific American" about stoms 'french edition)
    ;best regards
    bretarn :😃

Posted

Bretarn,

latest is that this is an issue at the host end that they are resolving - timescale is of the order days at the outside. I have asked cch01 to provide some book pointers. Not sure whether he is affected by the US government shutdown though. I'll ping on a couple of other key science team members as well for you. I will also try to remember to advise when the issue is resolved.

Posted

• bretarn by bretarn translator in response to peterthorne's comment.

Thanks a lot for your help about books, I'll be happy to go on with storm center when issue will be resolved.
    Best regards
    jean-maurice

Posted

• carl_schreck by carl_schreck scientist

Hi Bretarn,

Here is some reading material for you. I apologize if they are too technical. CCH001 will probably have some other suggestions.

The Divine Wind by Kerry Emanual: This is a great book for the layperson by one of the giants in our field.

Dvorak (1984): This is the manual that describes the technique we're simulating on Cyclone Center

Global Guide to Tropical Cyclone Forecasting

Gray 1968: Gives some historical perspective. This was one of the first papers to look at tropical cyclones and where they form.

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator in response to bretarn's comment.

I am advised that a fix should have been deployed this evening our time Bretarn (CEST) which means you can classify all remaining storms (which would be quite some going truth be told at about 30 years of imagery and order 50-100 storms per year). If this still isn't working for you please advise. My thanks to the folks at CSA HQ for fixing this for us.

Posted

thanks a lot for your help, Amazon will have some more job with me! Thanks to for the technical support

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

Hi Jean-Maurice, Dr. Schreck has provided you with some good reading material.

The website appears normal to us here - please let us know if anything weird keeps happening.

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator in response to bretarn's comment.

Good to hear that the issue is fixed

Posted

Hi, moderators and scientists. Everythng back to normality now, browsing "random storms" .Many thanks to Dr Schrek for his selection of books.

Posted