Cyclone Center Talk

New Cyclone Center - What do you think?

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

We've made some changes - many are described on our blog page (blog.cyclonecenter.org). What do you think?

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

It looks great. Just in case anyone else falls into the trap I did it seems it works also in a cached version just fine. I wondered where this fabled upgrade was at first then went shift+reload and voila. I tend to be a little dense like that ...! I love the innovations on the eye classifications especially. Makes that class a lot easier to classify unambiguously. Also, great to see chance to help out on target storms. Although, being one for the path least travelled 😃 am tempted to go all contrary and pick a random one just for the hell of it ...!

Posted

• fullerenedream by fullerenedream

I really like the new Cyclone Center. It's snazzy and easier to use than before. One question though - how can I see how many storms/storm pictures I've classified? I want to congratulate myself for the amount of work I do. It would be fun to see some sort of stats on my progress. Also, where did the favorite button go?

Posted

• Struck by Struck moderator, translator

Good evening cch001,

I was a little bit surprised on the 'Update Day' when I have seen the slogan of the implementation of a new engine for CycloneCenter. After the release of the new big update for this really great project, I am looking forward for a new feeling of the analyzes of storms.

You did/do a great job. So in my opinion the 'Classification Page' and the 'Talk Board' are much more modern and the structure of the 'Talk Board' gives the user a fantastic overview about new topics and discussions on an easy way.

Also I am enjoying the implementation of data analysis (wind speed, air pressure etc.) after the classification of a storm.

The target choices on the main page are a cool feature, too, because the user gets the possibility to choose a pregnant storm, which can optimize the activity of classifications.

Together with the soial media options, like Twitter, CycloneCenter and the User get more attention in the public.

I am really looking forward for the the next time here and I am glad to be a part of CycloneCenter. 😉

@fullerenedream: Hi fullerenedream and welcome to CycloneCenter. At the moment I don't have seen an amount-overview of the classifications which I have made.
    Maybe you can check this with your profil page on 'cyclonecenter.org', because of the page amount in the category 'Recents'.

Posted

• bretarn by bretarn translator

Great improvements with this new version: easier to handle with "restart" button, direct assistance at right hand while classifying; classifying images from a storm on a row gives a better idea about storm evolution; it's design will attract some more people to take part with project!

Posted

@fullerenedream: Thanks for the comments. Struck answered your question - click the 'Profile' link from the menu and then the "Recents" tab. You should be able to see all of your classifications there. The site used to give you a number for your total, which I liked and I hope will return soon.

Posted

• bretarn by bretarn translator

Just an issue, unsolved til now: when I open the storm project and click on one of storms displayed; I'm unable to get any image, the screen stay with "contoune" dispalyed on;; I need to choose "random storms" to star classifying; Is it any solution? TH
    Thanks 😃

Posted

• Struck by Struck moderator, translator

Hi bretarn,

I try to answer your question in your other topic:

Image issue

Maybe this information could help to localize the problem.

Posted

• Sylverone by Sylverone

I've been finding classification to go much faster with the new interface.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61 in response to cch001's comment.

Hi cch001, the new interface is a lot more organized and flows a lot better ,there-fore it is quicker ( when one is not debating with ones self about a difficult storm 😃 ) .Ian shocko61

Posted

Sylverone, we are glad that you are finding things much faster - that is good. The really nice part is we're getting a lot more information with the new design too because everyone is answering all of the questions, whereas before you had the option of skipping over many questions.

Thanks Ian - keep up the good work!

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator in response to cch001's comment.

Should we now have a new new cyclonecenter.org thread? 😃

Great new look.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the fantastic comments and suggestions! We're continuing to tweak the design in response to feedback, so please feel free to offer any additional suggestions.

You experienced classifiers may not see this, but there is also a snazzy new site-intro for first-time visitors, and a "progress bar" that guides them through their first four classifications. We've also cleaned up the About page, so check that out, too!

Again, really glad that you like the new site!

Posted

• HDuine by HDuine

Hello,
    Regarding the 2005 campaign, is it still possible to choose which storm you want to classify? It used to be on the homepage, but since the new site I am unable to find it.

Posted

Hi HDuine,

I believe that functionality has now gone, but we can ask the developers if enough people valued it and want it back.

Posted

• cestmarrant by cestmarrant

i'm probably the only one who feels this way, but i found the tutorial very confusing. i could not figure out what was being referred to half the time - e.g. continuous bands: were you counting outward from the eye? if so, i couldn't see what you were pointing out. i know it's hard for scientists to imagine what a complete non-science-type person doesn't know ... this is very difficult to describe in a note like this, so i'm sure i'm not communicating much at all. anyway, after the tutorial i still had no idea what i was supposed to be looking at , so i just gave up. sorry 😦

Posted

• Knappster by Knappster scientist

Hi
    We're sorry that you found the tutorial not helpful.

On our blog site, there are quite a few resources, including a YouTube channel. Please check it out.
    http://blog.cyclonecenter.org/tutorials/

-Ken

Posted

• Kstars by Kstars

Talk is a place for citizen scientists to observe, collect, share, and discuss data from Zooniverse projects.

KS

Posted

• new2weather by new2weather

Hello,

I am new to this but really enjoying myself. I want to get better and do a good job. I am just not sure and can anyone tell me where I can learn about the different types of storms and such here and details such as eye and the different parts and the colors used: different shades of blue, etc. I just honestly don't know much about cyclones and storms. Thank You.
    Kraig Morris

Posted

Hi Kraig,

below the imagery you are classifying are a reasonable set of prompts. We have a couple of papers where you can learn more about the project aims and how skillful volunteers like you are. The blog is a good place to access these and also see some examples of imagery and associated analysis. Your classifications all help and often there is no right or wrong so give it your best shot and enjoy!

Posted

• new2weather by new2weather

Peter,
    I apologize for so late a reply but my day job has me busy and tired. I really appreciate all your advice and guidance. Can you please tell me more about the papers you mentioned? Thank You.
    Kraig

Posted

Kraig,

you and me both, clearly :-s

The two papers are at ...

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/BAMS-D-13-00152.1

and

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/MWR-D-16-0022.1

Both are open access.

Posted

• PeterRalf by PeterRalf

Can you please create a company page on LinkedIn for Cyclone Center?
    https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/710

And put up a nice logo on that company page.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi Struck . I have been asked to help in this last push . But I cannot git into the Classification site

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Git = Get, sorry

Posted

Hi shocko61. Can you provide more details? You are into chat so I assume you are getting no images available box come up. As a fellow frequent classifier I get this too. Exiting and coming back in you eventually(!) get a storm you have not yet classified. If its another issue if you provide further particulars we can try to get this resolved.

Posted