Cyclone Center Talk

Need directions on how to do it!

• Mamaganoush by Mamaganoush

I can't find directions on how to do the classifications, I see no tutorials, nor any explanation of what the different pieces of the classification are. I don't see any "go back" or "restart" buttons. I don't see an FAQ. These are serious omissions. Please let us know when the program's been updated. Until then, too frustrating to work on. I'll go back to the galaxies, sea stars, and Greek manuscripts!

Posted

• sestevens by sestevens scientist

Each step of the process has a "?" bubble either next to the question, or near the buttons themselves. If you click it, a guide will pop up that explains how to do that step. Because of how many different ways there are to do these classifications, it was decided that a single guide would be far too lengthy to put on one page.

Next to the "Detailed Classification" checkbox, you should see an orange arrow pointing to the left. That is the restart button. There is no "back" button, as it would make it much more difficult to record your answers.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if there's anything we can do to clear anything up!

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

I just wish there were a way to know if we're doing it right because I am not a meteorologist, and I doubt most of us are here, and some sort of feedback on our specific work would be nice to have before we've classified hundreds of them wrong.

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

There is no one "right" way of doing these - even experts frequently disagree on things like whether it is an embedded center or a curved band storm. We hope that the help buttons are informative enough so that anyone can do a reasonable analysis of each storm. We know it can be difficult sometimes, especially for the storms without a lot of structure. I hope you don't become discouraged - every classification that you and the other citizen scientists do help us.

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

Well, now that I know even the experts don't have definitive answers, I feel better. It's like jumping into the deep end of a pool that's been treated with a chemical and lit on fire when you start doing this.

Posted

• csummers1 by csummers1

I feel that i'm doing more harm than good. really cool idea though, wish i coud gain more confidence as towhat i'm doing

Posted

• Casna51 by Casna51

Csummers1, as with any effort practice helps a lot. Reading the blogs, the boards(help, science, chat) the discussions for the individual storms and clicking on keyword trends helps. Also you might want to look at real- time storms on radar and satellite (especially if they are animated). Don't give up, give it time. Many of us feel discouraged at first.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

csummers1 , Mate when it is said , the deep end , I jumped in and held on to the side ,to find my feet were on the ground . it is not nearly as bad as imagined common sense and a bit of checking and casna51's advice goes a long way .Ian shocko61

Posted

• carl_schreck by carl_schreck scientist

csummers1, we've heard this time and again from our volunteers. The good news is that we're starting to look at the data, and you're all doing a fantastic job!
    See: http://blog.cyclonecenter.org/2012/12/06/super-preliminary-barely-ready-for-the-public-results-look-promising/

casana51 and shocko61 have some great tips to just keep going. And remember what they always say about standardized tests: go with you're first guess. If you're unsure about one, post it here afterwards and we'll give you some pointers for next time.

We also have an FAQ: http://blog.cyclonecenter.org/2012/12/14/frequently-asked-questions/ that might help too.

Good luck and keep up the great work! We really appreciate your efforts!

Posted

• csummers1 by csummers1

Thanks for the help. I'm getting the hang of it now. not too god with the detailed classifacation though.

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

Great! Let us know how we can help or enhance the experience. -ch

Posted