Cyclone Center Talk

Which colors wrap most of the way around the band? Won't let me select color.

• Foyanguru by Foyanguru

This type page especially won't let me select a color; and, on what is the size of the eye let's me select center, and size (if you click on the line which makes the circle) but it won't go to next page. In other words, I'm having problems with a lot of the detailed classification sections.
    Any help, or where to go for it? Thanks for your time.

Posted

• Foyanguru by Foyanguru

I wanted to add that when I try to click on the color, it turns into a crosshair that moves the map. It's like the colors are not selection boxes, and on the click on the center, then when selecting the size of the center, the only clickable part is the line which makes up the circle, which indicates that the entire box is not active, and only the black line of the cirlce can be clicked, either way it doesn't register my selection to continue or go the the next image.
    You might want to resort to a checkbox embedded into the color box, and the same for the circles. This would resolve any ambiguity on the selection process. I've noticed in development that a colored background may not be a selection box, and like in the size of the eye, the active area being the circle, may not be the selection identifier when gets assigned the value, but is the selectable item. Here, a check box embedded would also solve the issue making all colors the group, and each checkbox a selection.

Posted

• peterthorne by peterthorne moderator

Foyanguru,

The ? tabs provide some more detailed instructions generally. Do these help? Then, you generally need to click the continue button bottom right after making your selection (it'll only light up once you do so). If that isn't working, are you using IE? Regardless if you have access to another browser does the problem persist in that?

Posted

• zychka by zychka

I have just started on the cyclone centre , and I am not sure that the decisions I make are right.Does it matter? Zychka

Posted

• fezzik by fezzik

The question does matter, otherwise they wouldn't ask it. I wonder if they could explain the "wraps most of the way around" better?

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

Fezzik and others, every question that we ask in Cyclone Center contributes to our goal of getting an intensity (maximum wind speed) for the tropical cyclone pictured. There is usually no "right" answer; in fact, even experts frequently disagree on what the right answer is. We hope that by asking the same questions to a number of different people for each image, we will arrive at a consensus for each answer. Disagreement between all of you is not bad - it gives us a lot of good information (like how clear the pattern is) that we never could get by just having 1 or 2 people look at each one.

With regards to the color and the curved band, the "intensity" of the band is a good indication of the strength of the tropical cyclone. The colder the band, the more likely that the winds associated with the cyclone are stronger.

-Chris

Posted

• Jeshyr by Jeshyr

I am having a lot of trouble figuring out which way to answer for the band length for Curved Band storms, too. I would find it helpful if there was an "examples" page with several pictures of actual storms that experts had classified into each category, I think.

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

No, the instructions do not help. I can't get either of these questions to function properly. It's as if the color boxes arent selectable and the size of the eye question boxes aren't selectable either.

Posted

Jwb, are you using IE9? Some users have had problems with IE. Do you still have problems if you try Firefox or Chrome?

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

I don't have any other browsers to use and I really would not participate if I had to use another one without another solution. I've been busy for the last several days or I would have answered sooner. I will post again after I've seen if the problems still exist now.

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

Ok, it works better with IE 9 compatability view, but, for example, when you have to click the size of the eye of the storm by clicking on the size of the circle, if yiou don't click on the actual black pixels that make up the circle, it still won't work. The button itself won't "press" if you aren't clicking directly on the circle pixels. However, when you try to click the color boxes for "going around the eye" or the other that the color boxes are used for, it still won't acknowledge the click and just drags the map background around with the mouse.

Posted

I'll pass this along - hopefully we can get this fixed.

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

Whatever you did, it fixed the problems of selecting the colors in both kinds of questions that ask about color selection and now I can actually finish the detailed examination.

Posted

I have been told that the issue with choosing the color that wraps mostly around the band has been fixed in Internet Explorer. Please let us know if you are still having problems

Posted

Thanks for sticking with it Jwb52z

Posted