Cyclone Center Talk

What about amorphous storms?

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

I am wondering what we do if a storm doesn't really seem to match any of the example pictures at all and really just looks like a very large amorphous "blob".

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

Do you have some examples? I have noticed that there have been several "storms" that aren't really storms at all (widely scattered colors with no hints of spirals or swirls). In those cases I would chose "Other" and then "No Storm". If the main blob is big enough (judgement call) I might call it an #embedded-center and put the center under the blob. Don't be afraid to say "no storm" if you don't think there is anything there. Frequently in the early stages of tropical storms there will be not enough organization there to classify it.

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

Well, the last one I did yesterday was gigantic in appearance, it nearly filled up 3/4ths of the box. It looked like alot of smaller ones all clumped up and joined as if they combined to me. The one main edge looked almost scalloped that you could see in the image. I have never put any of them in my favorites before, so I don't know how to find it for you.

Posted

• cch001 by cch001 scientist

If you come across another similar example, either save it and post here or you can start a new thread. Then maybe I can be of some assistance

Posted

• Struck by Struck moderator, translator

Hello Jwb52z,

maybe you can find this special image, which you mean, in this way:

On the overview world map (Profil menu) you can see your last classified storms, which are marked as a blue circle.
    Click on a sequence of blue circles and you can get the data information of the storm sequence.
    If you click on the button 'Discuss on Talk' in the opened window, you can choose the option 'View Storm Page' under the image.

In this menu, you can see all the data images of the storm on the pages.
    If you have found the image, which you would like to talk about it, click on it and write a comment to get this image into the board.

I hope, I could help you Jwb52z.

Posted